How to open a can of surströmming - without making a mess
- A surströmming-hack for newbies is to put the can in the freezer for a few minutes before opening it, this reduced the smell a bit.
- If you live without nearby neighbors it can be a good idea to open the can outside. Although if you live in for example an apartment I would recommend opening the can above the kitchen sink.
- Tilt the can 45 degrees an put the can opener at the top of the can where you now have a pocket of air inside the can. This prevents splashing.
- When the an is open pour out all of the liquid from the can into the kitchen sink and rinse it away. Some people prefer to rinse the surströmming and the inside of the can.
- Put the can on a plate and bring it to the table. For whole fishes you need to gut them, filleted fishes are much easier to eat, but does not contain any roe.
- Enjoy the surströmming wrapped in buttered tunnbröd (a sweetened flat bred) For the best experience it should be served with freshly boiled sliced almond potatoes, diced onion, sour cream and fresh dill.